Report: Hull City 2 Newcastle Utd 2 - Hull City

Report: Hull City 2 Newcastle Utd 2

Todd Kane and Evandro were on target as the Tigers held Premier League Newcastle United to a 2-2 draw at the KCOM Stadium on Tuesday night.

Joselu opened the scoring for Rafa Benitez’s men with 15 minutes played, but Kane’s close-range finish ensured the scores were level at the break.

It was 2-1 to the Tigers just past the hour mark as Evandro marked another impressive pre-season display with a deserved goal. There was another twist to come though as Magpies substitute Ayoze Perez levelled the scores four minutes from time to deny Nigel Adkins’ side a well-deserved win.

The Tigers’ Head Coach made two changes from the side that slipped to a 1-0 defeat at Rochdale at the weekend, with Nouha Dicko and Dan Batty replacing Fraizer Campbell and Kevin Stewart.

The Tigers made a bright start at the KCOM, almost fashioning an opening inside 90 seconds when Evandro spread the ball out wide to Todd Kane, but the Chelsea loanee mis-hit his first-time cross straight into the hands of Karl Darlow with Dicko unmarked in the middle.

The visitors’ first attack of the game saw Jonjo Shelvey’s raking pass pick out Callum Roberts, who whipped in a dangerous cross which goalkeeper David Marshall pushed behind for a corner, which thankfully came to nothing.

More Newcastle pressure saw Matt Ritchie attempt to thread a precise through ball to Sean Longstaff in the box, but Jordy de Wijs was well-placed to mop up the danger.

However, the deadlock was broken after quarter-of-an-hour when Shelvey’s ball over the top saw Joselu beat the offside trap and the Spaniard produced a composed to finish to slot the ball past the advancing Marshall.

The Tigers responded well to the disappointment of going behind though and fashioned two chances in quick succession in the 23rd minute. Good strength from Dicko resulted in the striker bustling his way into the Magpies; box only to see his low strike well-blocked by Jamaal Lascelles. Karl Darlow was then called into action for the first time of the evening, saving comfortably from David Milinković.

Marshall kept the deficit down to one with superb save top keep out Shelvey’s 24th-minute free-kick, and the custodian was on hand once again to prevent a Matt Ritchie set-piece from the finding the back of the net moments later. Jacob Murphy pounced to head the loose ball back towards goal but Stephen Kingsley got back brilliantly to hook the effort off the line.

Skipper Markus Henriksen was shown a yellow card ten minutes before the break following a late challenge on Joselu inside the centre-circle, much to the displeasure of the black and amber faithful.

Evandro, who was once again looking lively for the Tigers following his impressive display at Rochdale at the weekend, burst into the box and held the ball up well, only to see support lacking before being eventually crowded out by Josef Yarney.

The Brazilian kept coming though and played a key role in getting the Tigers back on level terms four minutes before the break, wiggling his way past two Newcastle defenders inside the box before pulling the ball back to Kane, who found the back of the net from close-range via the aid of a deflection.

HT: Hull City 1 Newcastle Utd 1

The visitors made a number of changes at the break with Freddie Woodman, Jamie Sterry, Javier Manquillo, Ciaran Clark, Rolando Aarons and Ayoze Pérez replacing Karl Darlow, DeAndre Yedlin, Jamaal Lascelles, Callum Roberts, Jacob Murphy and Joselu have been withdrawn.

And it was the Tigers who started the brighter in the opening exchanges of the second half as only a superbly-timed sliding tackle from Shelvey halted Dicko’s charge into the Magpies’ box.

The striker was then guilty of missing a wonderful chance to put his side ahead on 52 minutes. After dispossessing Shelvey inside the Newcastle half, the former Wolves man went through one-on-one only to see his effort well kept out by Woodman.

Adkins’ men continued to impress going forward as Kingsley was off-target with a first-time volley after Clark’s headed clearance dropped invitingly to him on the edge of the box before Evandro hooked an effort over the bar after positive play from Lichaj down the right.

The Tigers’ pressure finally paid off just past the hour mark when Evandro was in the right place at the right time to fire an unstoppable effort past Woodman. It had looked as though the chance had gone when Dicko was crowded out inside the Magpies’ box, but the ball ran Kindly to the Brazilian who made no mistake with his finish.

The visitors almost produced the perfect response to going behind though as they came close to an instant equaliser. A wonderful low cross from substitute Victor Fernández looked to have picked out Rolando Aarons, but the winger couldn’t quite latch onto it at the far post.

Adkins brought on fresh legs with 15 minutes remaining as Max Sheaf replaced the impressive Evandro, who left the pitch to standing ovation from the home fans.

The Tigers were gifted a chance to make sure of the win eight minutes from time when Woodman’s misplaced pass under pressure presented Keane with a chance to make it 3-1, but the second half substitute could only find the side-netting from a tight angle after round the Newcastle keeper.

And the miss proved costly as the visitors grabbed an equaliser just five minutes later when Ayoze Pérez found the roof of the net from close range following a corner.

Hull City: Marshall, Lichaj, Kingsley, Burke, de Wijs, Henriksen, Batty, Kane (Holmes 90), Milinković, Evandro (Sheaf 75), Dicko (Keane 66).
Subs Not Used: Long, Stewart, Campbell, Hamilton, Fleming, Ritson, Curry, McKenzie, MacDonald.

Newcastle Utd: Darlow (Woodman 46), Lascelles (Clark 46), Murphy (Aarons 46), Shelvey (Ki 70), Diamé (Fernandez 60), Ritchie, Joselu (Perez 46), Yedlin (Manquillo 46), Yarney (Hayden 53), Longstaff, Roberts (Sterry 46).
Subs Not Used: Dubravka.