Report: Barnsley 1 Hull City 1 - Hull City

Report: Barnsley 1 Hull City 1

The Tigers were held to a second successive pre-season draw at Oakwell by an industrious Barnsley side on Saturday afternoon.

Nigel Adkins’ side fell behind to an early Kenny Dougall strike, but recovered well from the set-back and went into the break on level terms following Jarrod Bowen’s well-taken finish just past the half hour mark and an uneventful second half ensured it was honours even in the Yorkshire Derby.

Adkins made just one change from the side that drew 2-2 with Newcastle United in midweek, with Jarrod Bowen returning from a minor knock to replace David Milinković in the starting line-up.

A bright start from the Tigers saw Markus Henriksen, who was once again wearing the captain’s armband, skip past his man in the final third before finding Bowen out wide. The winger cut inside and laid the ball off to Dan Batty, but the chance to get a first-time shot away past the midfielder by as referee Jon Moss was in the wrong place at the wrong time.

And just three minutes later, Adkins’ side found themselves a goal down after failing to clear a Barnsley corner, allowing Adam Jackson to find Kenny Dougall on the edge of the box and the Tykes’ new signing fired a powerful strike through bodies that David Marshall was unable to keep out.

Barnsley continued their bright start and only a superb block from Stephen Kingsley prevented the hosts from doubling their lead two minutes later.

Another goalscoring opportunity followed for the Tykes on the 15-minute mark when Mamadou Thiam’s cross picked out an unmarked Kieffer Moore inside the box, but the giant striker was off target with his header from 12 yards.

The first sight of goal for the Tigers came four minutes later when Bowen’s right-wing corner fell invitingly for Todd Kane towards the back post, but the Chelsea loanee saw his first-time from close-range well kept out by Adam Davies in the Barnsley goal.

Neat passing play from the home side created another opportunity for Moore inside the Tigers’ box, but the striker dragged his low effort wide of Marshall’s far post.

Barnsley made their first change of the afternoon on 24 minutes as Victor Adeboyejo replaced the injured Ryan Hedges before the Tigers were also forced into an early substitution as Jordy de Wijs picked up a head injury which saw Angus MacDonald introduced into the action.

A rare Tigers’ attack shortly after Bowen burst clear down the right and into the box, only for the wideman to see his low centre – looking for either Evandro or Dicko in the middle – well gathered by Davies.

Bowen wasn’t to be denied though and put the Tigers back on level terms on 33 minutes, making no mistake with a ruthless low finish past Davies after being given a sight of goal inside the Barnsley box.

Sprung into life by the equaliser, a second goal almost followed three minutes before the break. Batty’s clever ball over the top sent Dicko clear. His pull-back was unselfish and perfectly placed but Kane’s effort was well-blocked by a covering defender to ensure it remained all square at the break.

HT: Barnsley 1 Hull City 1

The Tigers had to deal with some early pressure at the start of the second half as MacDonald was forced to head Dimitri Cavaré’s superb right-wing cross behind for a corner before Barnsley came desperately close to retaking the lead five minutes after the restart. Alex Mowatt sensed an opportunity from fully 30 yards out and let fly with a wonderful strike that had Marshall beaten but thankfully the crossbar came to rescue to deny the hosts.

Adkins made a triple change on the hour mark with Milinković, Kevin Stewart and Jon Toral replacing Kane, Evandro and Batty. The home side also made two changes at the same time with Mamadou Thiam and Tom Bradshaw replaced by George Moncur and Brad Potts.

After an action-packed first half, the opening 25 minutes of the second half provided very little in terms of entertainment, although the home side wasted a glorious opportunity to restore their lead on 70 minutes. Moore had the goal at his mercy from 12 yards after being teed up but could guide his wayward effort over the bar whilst also ignoring the unmarked Adeboyejo, much to the frustration of his team-mate.

There was a late worry for Adkins five minutes from time when Reece Burke went down with a knock and although he was able to walk off the pitch unaided, the centre-back’s was taken off as a precautionary measure and replaced by Adam Curry.

Hull City: Marshall, Lichaj, Kingsley, Burke (Curry 85), de Wijs (MacDonald 28), Henriksen, Batty (Stewart 60), Kane (Milinković 60), Bowen, Evandro (Toral 60), Dicko.
Subs Not Used: Long, Sheaf, Holmes, Fleming, McKenzie, Irvine.

Barnsley: Davies, Lindsay, Jackson, Cavare, Pinillos, Mowatt, Dougall (McGeehan 70), Thiam (Moncur 60), Moore, Hedges (Adeboyejo 24, (Isgrove 83), Bradshaw (Potts 60).
Subs Not Used: Walton, McCarthy, Bird, Pinnock.